Calculating your baby’s estimated due date is simple. Just use the start of your last menstrual cycle as your starting point, add 40 weeks to it, and there you have it!
Knowing your baby’s estimated due date can help you plan for your new little one. However, it is important to prepare yourself for the unexpected. It is very rare for a baby to be born on their exact due date.
The journey of parenthood typically begins the moment you find out about your pregnancy either from a doctor or two little lines on a pregnancy test. When this happens, a flurry of questions may come up such as the all time favorite, “When is the baby due,” or even “What do I do now?” Knowing your baby’s estimated due date will help you better prepare for the journey that awaits you.
Parents with multiple children can especially agree that you cannot be one hundred percent prepared for everything that can possibly happen. The important thing is to do what it takes to prepare yourself as much as possible so you’ll have a smooth sailing pregnancy.
Here are a few things to consider during your first month of pregnancy:
- Double check that you are really pregnant by taking a second or even third pregnancy test
- Ask your healthcare provider for information on how you can maintain top notch health for you and the development of your baby.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins
- Read books, books, and more books on pregnancy
- Maintain healthy habits and nutrition
- Take cute belly pictures
- Quit smoking & drinking
- Research morning sickness remedies such as ginger or acupressure bands
- Find resources for potential baby names such as books and websites. Check this out for starters!
- Speak with your healthcare provider about any medications you may be taking
- Drink lots of water! Incase you’re having trouble with this, here are other ways you can stay hydrated.
- Learn relaxation techniques to reduce stress
These are just a few items to help you better prepare during your first month of pregnancy. Also, building a strong support system of friends and family will make sure this life changing journey will be full of joy and excitement.